A camera is precious equipment which will give you good service for a long time, if you maintain it properly. Some basic guidelines are given and you are advised to follow them.
- Handle the camera carefully. Do not drop or hit it against any hard objects.
- Do not lend your camera to a person who doesn’t know how to handle it.
- Learn all the controls and details of the camera from the seller or from the instruction manual. Operate all the controls several times and familiarize yourself with camera before loading the film (applicable only for SLR camera).
- Keep the lens clear and protect it from dirt, dampness and heat. The lens is made of soft glass; hence it will develop scratches if you clean by applying pressure. You should blow air and remove the dirt, and then apply a very soft clean cloth (chamois leather) gently to clean the lens. You can also clean the lens with the help of lens cleaning solution available in the market. Always keep the lens covered with lens cap when the camera is not in use. You can always use an ultra violet (UV Filter) or a plane glass filter for protecting the lens.
- Avoid storing the camera in plain exposed area or extreme temperature or dampness. Dampness will also affect the lens and also metal part of the camera.
- Relax all mechanical tensions when you not using the camera during a longer period.
- Always use a leather case to carry the camera.
- It is better to have the camera in front, rather than on your shoulder side results the camera hits against any static materials.
- Never attempt to service or repair the camera by yourself.
- Periodically check the strap joint of the camera.
If all the above 10 points are followed carefully your camera will produce good result and last for a longer period.